Outstanding Seniors and finalists recognized for achievements

Two seniors were chosen for an award that dates back more than 60 years and will be recognized with plaques installed in the senior walk on the lawn of Russ Hall: Tucker Jessip, a Business Management major from Frontenac, and Tricia Combs, a Communication and Criminal Justice major from Girard. 

They also will address their classmates at Commencement ceremonies on May 10 and 11.

Fourteen others were honored as finalists for their academic and extracurricular achievement, community service, leadership, and campus involvement.  

Candidates for the award are nominated by faculty, staff, and student organization presidents and then narrowed by a committee. 

Tucker Jessip 
Frontenac • Business Management 

Jessip

Jessip is graduating with a 4.0 GPA and accolades that include having been selected as Homecoming Royalty and a Golden Gorilla. He was a member of several campus organizations and was president of both the Honors College Association and Students for Sustainability. 

He worked throughout college in the Kelce College of Business as a clerical assistant and at Walmart as a front-end team associate. He volunteered with the Frontenac Fire Department and was a member of Pittsburg Area Young Professionals. 

Participation in those things strengthened him as a leader, improved his organizational skills, forged friendships, and enriched his college experience, he said. 

"My involvement in organizations has not only made me more connected to my peers and the community, but also benefited me academically. It gave me the encouragement and motivation to excel in the classroom, which has helped me maintain a 4.0 GPA throughout my college career. I have Pittsburg State University, the Pittsburg community, and my friends and family to thank for providing me with these amazing opportunities, and I plan to continue these leadership and service initiatives going into my professional career.” 

Tricia Combs 
Girard • Communication and Criminal Justice 

Combs

Combs is graduating with a 4.0 GPA in Criminal Justice and a 3.93 in Communication and earned accolades that included being selected for Homecoming Court and a Golden Gorilla, Outstanding Newcomer in Strategic Communication, and All-A Scholastic Honors.

She was a leader in several campus organizations including the Honors College Association and was the founder of the Ag Association of Pitt State and Pitt State Pre-Law Club. She worked throughout college at Drop the H Brewing Company as trivia host, the Gorilla Activities Board, and the Student Success Center, and this year has interned at the Office of Judicial Administration in Topeka. 

Participation in those things helped her grow in areas like time management, networking, agenda setting, and collaborating with people from backgrounds different from her own, she said. 

"When I came to Pitt State during a global pandemic, I was quiet for the first time in my life. Sitting masked and silent in a classroom full of people I had never met, I wondered if that noise would ever come back. Month by month, those quiet classrooms taught me one of the most important pieces of the communication process: listening. By taking the time to hear what was going on in the world around me, I learned how to act, rather than just use words. I founded an agriculture club to advocate for an industry that I am passionate about, led an activities board that brings joy and inclusive environments to students, and established a pre-law club to help other students gain the resources they need to succeed. My work in the Student Success Center allowed me to serve as a resource for other students. By listening to their issues, I was better able to help them find the best possible solutions." 

Finalists for the award include the following students:

Ragan Abernathy  
Quapaw, Oklahoma • Nursing 

Senior Abernathy

Abernathy has worked as a Nurse Technician at Mercy Hospital in Joplin and a clerical assistant at Axe Library, volunteered with the Heart to Heart Belize medical study abroad program, was a member of the Honors College Association, and was chosen as a Gold Gorilla. 

“As I reflect on my collegiate journey, I've come to understand that being ‘outstanding’ isn't just about simply excelling in specific areas like service, academics, or campus involvement. It's about how we weave these elements and experiences together to shape who we become. During my time at PSU, I have been a scholar, a leader, a mentor. In each of these instances, I have learned again and again the impact of being a student. What I have learned here in four short years, I will carry with me onto future personal and professional endeavors. What I have learned here is that I will never underestimate the importance of academic integrity, service, or involvement within one's community and above all, I will always remain a student.” 

Kate Bandre 
Overland Park • Nursing 

Senior Bandre

Bandre was a member of the Volleyball team, worked at Overland Park Regional Hospital and as a lifeguard, was a member of several campus organizations including the Kansas Association of Nursing Students and earned many academic and athletic awards. 

"I was able to form bonds of friendship with my teammates in my first weeks of college -- a foundation of support that I would lean on throughout all my accomplishments. I made lasting connections with my professors who supported me on the volleyball court and cheered on my success in the classroom. I was able to accept my dream job of being a labor and delivery nurse following graduation and passing of my board exams, and I am ecstatic to empower women on the biggest day of their lives.” 

Kayla Cormack 
St. Louis, Missouri • Geographical & Political Sciences 

Senior Cormack

Certificate: Geographic Information Systems  

Cormack worked as an intern at a national agency and a regional business, a student GIS tutor, and in the Student Center Scheduling Office, was a member of Pride of the Plains Marching Band, and was active in several campus organizations 

"I have always had a passion to contribute to the greater good of the Earth and the communities I am involved in. I fulfill this passion through service activities, campus involvement, and my future career, made possible because of my academic excellence. I enjoy participating in service activities that allow me to contribute to my community, help others, and the environment. A different form of service that not only makes a big impact but helps prepare for my future career is Humanitarian OpenStreetMap. This was a project that I was introduced to in my Geographic Information Systems I class, where you help map communities that have been struck by natural disasters or have other humanitarian needs that require maps. Getting to serve in these various roles has expanded my passion for working with underprivileged communities of all demographics. 

Penner Fox 
Fredonia • Chemistry 

Senior Fox

Fox was a member of the Honors College Association and a leader in several campus clubs and organizations including Chemistry Club, earned awards including the Golden Gorilla and the Chemistry Outstanding Freshman of the Year, worked as a technician at Lindburg Pharmacy in the Office of the Provost, and participated in community service.  

"All of these organizations are heavily dedicated to service, and through them, I have made a connection not only to the university, but the Pittsburg community. I recently accepted a seat in the University of Kansas School of Pharmacy’s Class of 2028. This was only possible due to the friends, connections to faculty, support system, and leadership and service opportunities that Pitt State has given me over the last few years. I hope I have been able to give back to this university in thanks for the countless opportunities that have been given to me during my undergraduate career.” 

Zackary Goswick 
Joplin • Nursing 

Certificate: Spanish 

Senior Goswick

Goswick did a study abroad trip to Spain, was a member of the Kansas Association of Nursing Students, honor societies, Student Government Association, and the Symphonic Band, volunteered with blood drives, and worked at Freeman West in the Intensive Care Unit and as a phlebotomist. 

"It was hard to choose one thing that made an impact, but I think my experiences with the Kansas Association of Nursing Students have been among the best because I see a difference this organization makes, not only for nursing students, but for the community of Pittsburg. We set up first aid stations at several home football games as well as some basketball games. In doing this, I have helped check members of the community’s blood pressure and provided information/answered questions about hypertension and the dangers it poses to one’s health as one out of every three people have it. We set up donation boxes for places like the Weseley House and the Gorilla Pantry, and I had the chance to represent Pitt State on the student-led state board of the Kansas Association of Nursing Students.” 

Halee Harpenau 
Wichita • Recreation Services, Sport, and Hospitality Management 

Senior Harpenau

Harpenau was chosen as a Golden Gorilla Award and was an active member in many organizations including honor societies, her sorority, the Health, Human Performance, and Recreation Club, and the Dance Club.  

“I gained a lot of experience and helped the community by setting up the Albers Marine Equipment Shows, serving at Girl Scout Archery camps, volunteering with Therapeutic Recreation events such as the MLK Day of Service and Special Olympics, philanthropic activities with my sorority, and organizing the annual Outdoor Kansas Kids Day. I also gained valuable career experience as an intern at the Bicknell Family Center for the Arts learning event coordinating procedures, front and back of house protocol, and other various performing arts center tasks.” 

Anna Hogard 
Pittsburg • Education (Master’s)  
Bachelor’s in Education earned in Fall 2023 

Senior Hogard

Hogard has worked as a substitute teacher and as a graduate assistant in First Year Programs and was active as a member of honor societies, a Pitt CARES Orientation leader, and a volunteer in community service projects including the Big Event. 

"During my time at Pitt State, I have had many opportunities to serve the community and others during on and off-campus activities including the Lord’s Diner, Special Olympics, and local youth sporting games and camps. As a member of the Council for Exceptional Children I have had the privilege to speak to parents and teachers who have children of their own or work with children who receive special education services. All of these activities have allowed me to meet and make connections with new people, as well as serve others and give back to our community.” 

Jessica Jones  
Kansas City, Kansas • Recreation Services, Sport, and Hospitality 

Senior Jones

Jones has worked as a mental health supervisor at Crawford County Mental Health, a lab assistant at the Pitt State Ability Lab, and a paraeducator at SEK Interlocal, and was active in Black Student Association, Health, Human Performance, and Recreation Club, honor societies, and Greek life.  

“During my past four years at Pittsburg State University, I have been beyond blessed with a multitude of opportunities to grow as a scholar, researcher, leader, and overall person. Not only being a part of Greek life but also engaging in the Ability Lab at the Student Recreation Center has allowed me to put many different skills to use. I have been appointed positions within my sorority that allowed me to plan events, educate others, and utilize my creative skills to create things for my chapter." 

Rylee McElroy 
Shawnee • Nursing (Emphasis: Spanish Language and Culture) 

Senior McElroy

McElroy was a member of the Honors College Association, Advancement Ambassadors, and Greek life, contributed many hours to community service activities, did a study abroad trip to Spain, was chosen for honor societies, and was a campus leader including as Nursing class president. 

"From the start, I took advantage of all leadership opportunities which gave me perspectives and wisdom that I could never have found otherwise. My eyes have been opened to the power of service. With the help of my nursing expertise with my Spanish education background, I look forward to serving my community in the neonatal intensive care unit as a source of comfort and support for Spanish-speaking families. I recognize the importance of my education, as I will be serving thousands of people in my lifetime as a healthcare professional."  

Madeline Murdock  
Coffeyville • Biology (Pre-Medicine)  

Senior Murdock

Murdock earned accolades including Golden Gorilla and Tri Sigma’s National Outstanding Senior Award, worked as a medical scribe through the Pre-Meds with Promise program offered by Dr. Mindi S. Garner, DO., and was a member of the Honors College Association, Advancement Ambassadors, Pre-Med and Biology clubs, and several honor societies. 

"My involvement in many areas of campus has presented me with many unique and valuable opportunities. I have developed the desire to inspire and “coach” others to love each organization that we are involved in, in a way that I never had the confidence to do before.  I’ve made lasting connections within the community. The academic experiences and opportunities I have received at PSU will undoubtedly continue to serve me in my journey to become a physician. Following graduation, I will be attending KU’s School of Medicine as a member of their Scholars in Rural Health” program. It is my honor to be able to continue to follow my passion for healthcare, using all of the skills that I have acquired in the past four years.” 

Aubrey Owens 
Overland Park • Communication  

Senior Owens

Owens was a University Ambassador and a Pitt CARES Orientation Leader, worked at Overman Student Center, was chosen as Homecoming Royalty and for honor societies, and logged many hours in community service including the Big Event. 

“Before coming to Pitt State, I did not consider myself a leader. Four short years ago I wouldn’t have dreamed that I could become the president of a sorority or the homecoming queen. I truly believe that the PSU students and staff helped me grow into who I am today and for that, I am forever grateful. Being a part of a sorority turned into something more rewarding than I could have imagined. I began to develop confidence and a sense of purpose that I had not felt before. Attending PSU was truly the best decision I have ever made as it helped me to grow into a version of myself that I never knew was possible.”  

Nathaniel Parish 
Arma • Mathematics and Business Administration (Computer Information Systems) 

Senior Parish

Parish worked in Student Financial Assistance, as an intern at SelectQuote Insurance Services, served as Gus Gorilla and a member of University Ambassadors, was a member of honor societies, was chosen as a Golden Gorilla,  

“Representing PSU in competitions has been an unparalleled experience for me. Teaming up with my classmates and friends, showcasing our passion for education along with the skills we've learned in the classroom, as well as our school pride, has been truly amazing. It also feels great to come home with a podium finish as a result of our hard Work. As my time at Pitt State comes to a close, I wish to encourage others to be a positive light and to create beneficial and lasting impacts on those around them.” 

Jaiden Smith  
Basehor Kansas • Biology (Pre-Physician Assistant) 

Senior Smith

Smith worked at the University Club and as a Certified Nurse Aide at the University of Kansas Medical Center, was chosen for honor societies, was part of Greek life, completed a medical study abroad in Belize, did service projects, and held leadership roles in clubs and organizations.  

“Pitt State goes above and beyond to build well-rounded students and people through service opportunities, academics, and involvement -- all of which are a big part of why I chose to call it home these past four years. Volunteer and leadership positions not only allowed me to get involved in the campus and local community, but most importantly, they’ve allowed me to educate and mentor my peers in new ways. Pitt State has allowed me to grow into a version of myself I didn’t know was possible, and for that, I am eternally grateful.” 

Taylor Wixson 
Pittsburg • Biology Major (Pre-Medicine) and Spanish 

Senior Wixson

Wixson was a leader and volunteer in campus clubs and organizations including honor societies, Biology Club, Honors College Association, was a research assistant and intern at the Polymer Chemistry Research Center, worked at Ascension Via Christi Hospital as a door screener and as a phlebotomist at LabCorp. 

“Through all my challenging classes, especially science courses, I have had such supportive, kind, and intelligent professors who truly wanted to see me succeed. I’ve been able to further supplement my learning with research, immersive trips, and honors projects to make the most out of my education. Pittsburg State University has shaped me into the adult, leader, and scholar I am today. It has given me awareness and knowledge into the world as a future health professional and given me remarkable friends and mentors along the way. I will always call Pitt State and PIttsburg home and I hope that after I complete professional school I can one day return to serve it even better.”