Share page: 
General Information (select semester):  Spring | Summer | Fall

General Information Summer Session

Degree Certification

When a student attains 85 semester hours of credit (including current enrollment), the student should apply for an official degree check in the Degree Certification Office, Room 102 Russ Hall. Written application must be made for the degree on an approved form in the Registrar's Office, Degree Certification Section. The student's permanent record and current enrollment will be examined in detail to assess progress toward the degree objective. A letter is written to the student following the record analysis outlining specific requirements which must be met before a degree may be granted. A copy of this letter is sent to the student's advisor.

An automated degree audit is available through the online Web based enrollment system to all undergraduates and their advisors at the time of early enrollment each semester. The degree audit lists all requirements to be met for the degree, major and minor as selected by the student.

Class Admission

Admission will not be allowed in any course for which official enrollment has not been made.

Normal Academic Load

All undergraduate students are expected to consult with their advisors not only during enrollments, but during any changes requiring a drop or add. The recommended academic load for undergraduates in the summer session  is 6 to 8 hours with a maximum of 12.    All classes during the summer are billed on a per credit hour basis.   Total recommended academic load includes both on and off campus enrollment. Academic loads in excess of these recommended loads should be taken only after careful consultation by the student with the advisor.

The recommended academic load for Graduate students for the summer is 4 hours.  The maximum academic load for graduate students in the summer is 12 hours.  Any exceptions to this regulation must have the approval of the major advisor and the Dean of Graduate Studies.

International Students

All international students are required by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to be full-time students. The INS requires undergraduate students to complete at least 12 hours each fall and spring semester to maintain their student status. Graduate students must complete at least nine hours to maintain their student status. When a student fails to maintain his/her INS student status, it can result in many lost benefits for the student. Students may be less than full-time their final (graduating) semester.

Enrollment Guidelines

1. Freshmen and sophomore students should typically enroll in courses numbered 100 through 299.
2. Courses numbered 700-799 require 170 grade points. (For master's students primarily; with enrollment of less than 50% undergraduate students.)
3. Courses numbered 800-899 are open to graduate students only.
4. Courses numbered 900-999 are for Ed.S. students and those who have master's degrees, except for MBA courses.
5. Special students (non-degree seeking) should consult department advisors for course level selection.

Change of Enrollment (Drop and Add)

Please check the Enrollment deadlines under "Enroll for Summer" on the Registrar's homepage.

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawals from the university are initiated through the Office of the Registrar. If you find it necessary to leave school during the semester, be sure that the official withdrawal has been made; otherwise, an "F" will be recorded on your permanent record for the semester due to unofficial withdrawal.

Pass-Fail Enrollment Procedure

  1. Obtain an application for enrollment under the pass-fail system from the Registrar's Office, 103 Russ Hall.
  2. Complete the application, sign the application, and have your advisor sign the application if your enrollment is approved.
  3. Take the completed application to the Registrar's Office.
  4. The application must be received by the Registrar no later than the last day for adding classes. Please check the enrollment deadlines under "Enroll for Summer" on the Registrar's homepage.
  5. Refer to the regulations governing the pass-fail system of grading in the University Catalog.


Students may audit classes by obtaining an audit enrollment form from the Registrar's Office, Room 103 Russ Hall. Auditors must receive permission from the instructor of a course in order to be permitted to audit. Auditors are permitted on a space available basis. All persons who audit courses are admitted as listeners only. They are not entitled to any instructional privileges in any form and may not participate in the class activities except as listeners. No official record is made of audit enrollments. Students may not audit courses offered through the Division of Continuing Studies.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Students need to be cautioned under this new policy. Students who completely withdraw after receiving Title IV assistance in many cases will have to repay a portion of the funds received. The financial aid office recalculates federal* financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, or are dismissed prior to completing 60% of a semester. Recalculation is based on the percent of earned aid using the following formula:

Percent earned = Number of days completed up to the withdrawal date** divided by total days in the semester.

Federal financial aid is returned to the federal government based on the percent of unearned aid using the following formula:

Aid to be returned = (100% - percent earned above) times the amount of aid disbursed toward institutional charges. Institutional charges are: tuition, fees, on-campus room and board.

When aid is returned, the student may owe a debit balance to the University and/or Department of Education Title IV Programs. If a student owes a debit balance to the Department of Education, payment arrangements will have to be made with the Department.

*Federal financial aid includes the Federal Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, Perkins Loan, FFEL Stafford Student Loan, and PLUS Loan.

**Withdrawal Date is defined as the actual date the student began the institution's withdrawal process through the Registrar's Office, the student's last date of recorded attendance or the midpoint of the semester for a student who leaves without notifying the institution.

Parking on Campus

The entire campus is zoned for permit parking. Zone permits (if desired) may be obtained at the University Police and Parking Services Office in Shirk Hall. Students may obtain parking permits as soon as they receive their tuition bill.

Abbreviations Used in Class Schedule

AL - Axe Library
BH - Bowen Hall
FAM - Family and Consumer Sciences Building
FTS - Ft. Scott
GH - Grubbs Hall
HA - Hartman Hall
HH - Hughes Hall
HM - Horace Mann
HW - Heckert Wells
JOP - Joplin
KCM-Kansas City Metro Center
KLC - Kelce Center
KTC - Kansas Technology Center
MH - McCray Hall
MI - Mitchell Hall
MP - McPherson Nurse Ed. Building
MC - Mt. Carmel Med. Center
MRCY - Mercy Hospital
PH - Porter Hall
REC-Rec Center 
RH - Russ Hall
SC - Overman Student Center
SH - Shirk Hall
SRC-Student Recreation Center
SJ - St. John's Hospital
TBA - To Be Announced
WE - Weede Phys. Ed. Building
WH - Whitesitt Hall
WI - Willard Hall
YH - Yates Hall
MWF - Monday, Wednesday, Friday
MW - Monday and Wednesday
M-F - Monday thru Friday
M-TH - Monday thru Thursday
TUTH - Tuesday and Thursday
MTT - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
S - Saturday
FSF - Friday, Saturday, Friday

Vietnam Fee Waiver

A tuition and fee waiver is available for dependents of prisoners of war and servicemen declared missing in action; and children of veterans who died as the result of injuries suffered in the line of duty during the Vietnam Conflict. For further information, call the Kansas Veterans Commission at 913-296-3976.