Share page: 

Purchasing Office Contact

Office Director:

Jim Hughes

* is a required field

Contact Person:
Barbara Jemison

* is a required field

Phone: 620-235-4167
Fax: 620-235-4166

PSU Purchasing Office
1701 South Broadway
110 Russ Hall
Pittsburg, KS 66762

Capital Equipment Inventory

  • Safeguarding of State Property

    The Assistant Director of Purchasing serves as property management officer and is responsible for the following:

    • Develop and implement inventory policies and procedures within the University
    • Conduct annual physical inventory and prepare reports
    • Manage inventory database
    • Manage disposal of property including soliciting sealed bids for surplus property when required

    Only property items with a value of $5,000 or more with a useful life exceeding one year are reported on the University's fixed asset reports; however, the University is responsible for safeguarding all state property. In this regard, each University employee has stewardship responsibilities for University property.

    Policy Statement:

    1. The University owns all property purchased with state of Kansas funds and all property received as gifts.

    2. University property may only be used in the conduct of official University business. University property may not be rented or loaned to any person, group, or organization for personal use.

    3. University departments are responsible for ensuring that University property items costing less than $5,000 are safeguarded and later disposed of in accordance with state and University policies on the disposal of surplus property. When you are ready to dispose of an item, please refer to the section "Disposition of Property Form".

    4. A University employee discovering theft of University property must report the theft to the employee's supervisor immediately. The supervisor must then notify the Purchasing Office and the University Police Department.


  • How to Determine if an Item Belongs on Inventory

    Any purchase (or installment payment) of an item $5,000.00 or more must be added to PSU's Capital Equipment Inventory. Some exceptions to this rule are items with a life expectancy of less than one year, glass items and items purchased with grant money (in which the grantor specifies that he retains ownership).

    All gifts to the university with a value of $5,000.00 each (or more) are to be reported to the Office of Development so that they may be added to the monthly "In-Kind Gifts Report". The In-Kind Gifts Report is reviewed in the Purchasing Office to determine which items are to be added to PSU's Capital inventory.


  • What is a Tagging Sheet?

    The Purchasing Office is notified when payment has been made on an item with a capital equipment object code. At that time, the Purchasing Office assigns an inventory number to the item listed on the payment voucher. The PSU property number and all pertinent information available from the voucher are entered into the PSU Inventory System. Sometimes, there are several important pieces of information not available at the time of data entry. The receiving department or Purchasing Office personnel will collect any missing information and tag (label with the barcode sticker) the item. Criteria used to identify property include but are not limited to:

    • Description
    • Category
    • Cost
    • Location of Asset
    • Date Placed in Service
    • Asset Number
    • Receiving Department
    • Serial Number (tag number if vehicle)
    • Depreciation Information

  • Where to Place PSU Barcode Labels

    There are few steadfast rules on where to place a PSU label. However, the general rule is to place the sticker at the front, lower right side of any item. Although some people have voiced concern about the aesthetics of placing a label on the front of an item, please keep in mind that part of the value of the barcode is lost if an item must be moved for physical inventory purposes.

    If you are tagging an item that is heavily used or that a property sticker will not adhere to, please contact the Purchasing Office (ext. 4167 or 4169). The Purchasing Office owns an engraver and we'll be happy to come out and engrave the item for you.

    If software is added to inventory, please place the PSU barcode sticker on the inside - front cover of the software manual or affix to a file folder which includes documentation and detail of the item. File folders should be kept in the departmental office and made available during annual capital inventory inspection.

  • Moving an Inventoried Item From One Location to Another

    When moving an inventory item to another location within the Department, please notify the Purchasing Office by email, noting the property number and new location. The Purchasing Office will update this information in the Capital Inventory System.

  • Giving (or Selling) an Inventoried Item to Another Department

    An Inventory Transfer Form must be completed and signed by both the Transfer-From and Transfer-To departments. The form should then be forwarded to the Purchasing Office. The change will be entered into the on-line inventory system.

    Get Inventory Transfer Form Now

    If you have questions about accessing a form, please email Brad Stefanoni for assistance: or ext. 4169.


  • Proper Disposal Methods for Capital Equipment

    When a department receives an approved copy of a Disposition of Property Form, it will list a number in the "Disp Code Approved" column of the form. This number corresponds to a code listed in the box at the bottom of the page entitled "Disposition Codes". It informs the department of the disposal method that the State deems appropriate. You may also receive a letter with more detailed instruction. Items should not be disposed of prior to approval.

  • Disposition of Property Form

    Disposal of property is under the direction of the Purchasing Office. When you are ready to dispose of an item that is on capital equipment inventory first, you must complete a Disposition of Property Form. The form can be printed from the Purchasing Office Forms web page. After completing the form, send it to the Purchasing Office for further processing. 

    A copy of the Disposition of Property Form will be returned to your department with a proper disposal method for the item or items listed in the "Disp Code Approved" column. The department may dispose of the item by the approved disposal method noted on the form.

    There are only five fields on a Disposition of Property Form that a department must complete. They are as follows:

    • Property Number -- the number from the PSU property tag on the item
    • Description -- an informative description of the item (brand, model, etc.)
    • Cond. Code (short for Condition Code) -- you will find a box in the lower left corner of the form entitled "Condition Codes". Select the number that most exemplifies the current condition of the item and place that number in this column.
    • Disposition Code -- the column entitled "Disp Code Dept" is where the department is to denote the method by which they wish to dispose of the item. You will find a box entitled "Disposition Codes" at the middle, bottom portion of the form. Find the number that best represents the desired method of disposal and enter it in this column.
    • Agency Approvals -- the department Director/Chair should sign and date.

    The Disposition of Property Form should then be sent to the Purchasing Office for further processing. After approval, the Purchasing Office will send a copy of the form back to your department. The Purchasing Office will facilitate removal of assets from the inventory database.


  • "Trade-in" of Capital Equipment

    All trade-ins must be removed from inventory prior to the time a department releases an item to a vendor. This is accomplished using the Disposition of Property procedure. The department is also required to provide a written bid from the interested vendor which declares the amount of trade-in the vendor is offering for each item listed.

  • Annual Physical Inventory

    Due to technological advances of the Capital Equipment Inventory System, it has become possible for the Purchasing Office to accept responsibility for the annual physical inventory of campus equipment. (An annual physical inventory is required by State of Kansas.) If any department wishes to conduct their own physical inventory, please contact the Purchasing Office(ext. 4167 or 4169). The most current departmental inventory report can be e-mailed to the requestor.

    Departmental inventory listings are available via the online inventory system, however, we are happy to provide inventory reports upon request.


  • Capital Equipment Object Codes

    Object Code



    Agricultural Equipment and Machinery


    Household, Laundry and Kitchen Equipment and Furniture


    Office Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment


    Professional and Scientific Equipment


    Passenger Cars


    Trucks and Other Self-Propelled Equipment


    Shop and Plant Maintenance Equipment


    Other Equipment, Machinery, Furniture and Fixtures (Includes audio visual, scientific and classroom equipment


    Books and Library Material


    Reprographic Equipment


    Microcomputer Systems and Support Equipment (Includes microcomputers or personal computers. Typical support equipment includes floppy disk drives, tape cassette drives, printers, plotters and other interface equipment or computer related parts.)


    Computer Systems Equipment (Includes control units, tape drives, disk drives, line printers, mass storage, communications controllers and consoles.)


    Information Processing Equipment (Includes stand-alone display word processing units, shared logic word processing systems, CRT terminals, terminal cluster controllers.)


    Computer Systems, Information Processing or Microprocessing Systems Software


    Buildings and Improvements


    Land and Interest in Land


    Nonstructural Improvements (Includes improvements to grounds.)


    Telecommunications Termination Equipment (Includes telephones, facsimile machines, key sets, signal interfaces or conditioning units.)


    Telecommunications Transmission Equipment (Includes switching devices both manual and automatic, such as PBX's attendant consoles, patching, traffic control and system management units.)


    Telecommunications Transmission Equipment (Includes facilities used to provide a transmission path between two or more points such as wire or optical cable, microwave, and associated multiplexing units.)


    Radio (Portable) Equipment (Includes vehicular, hand-held transceivers and paging units.)


    Radio (Fixed) Equipment (Includes base stations, broadcast stations and receivers used for public information.)


    Data Communications Equipment (Includes multiplexors, concentrators, monitors, modems, acoustic couplers, modem eliminators, protocol convertors, interfaces and other equipment used primarily for communicating data or information between computer systems.)