Pittsburg State University
Student Crisis Response Procedure
The Department of Campus Life and Auxiliary Services has among its responsibilities that of coordinating the university response to significant crisis situations involving Pittsburg State University students whether on campus or in the community. This response procedure was developed for implementation in the event of a death or severe injury of a student, or other disaster, natural, or otherwise.
This procedure is intended to:
- Assist those involved in dealing with the crisis to respond appropriately
- Provide coordination with external individuals and agencies
- Provide communication within the university community
- Assist in post-crisis support and resolution
The full content of this procedure is intended for implementation in the instance of a death of a student. Portions of the procedure may need modification or omission in the event of severe injury of a student.
Crisis Response Team
The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee) will serve as the coordinator of the response team. Other members will be utilized on an as needed basis and will participate when the situation warrants as decided by the coordinator (i.e., Assistant to the President, City of Pittsburg Chief of Police, Athletic Director, Athletic Coaches, Director of International Student Services, etc).
Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services
Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Success
Associate Vice President for University Marketing and Communication
Director of Government and Community Relations
Director of University Housing
Associate Director of University Housing
Director of University Police and Parking Services
Operations Director of Student Health Services
Director of University Counseling Services
Director of Custodial and General Services
Assistant Director, Campus Activities and Greek Affairs
President, Student Government Association
- In the event of a student crisis, any individual first to respond must contact emergency personnel (University Police) by dialing 911.
- University Police officers are in charge at the scene of an incident until all appropriate actions have been taken.
- Every effort should be made to preserve the scene of an incident exactly as discovered.
- University Police, after arriving and initially securing the scene of the incident, will ensure contact is made by telephone with Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services and the Area/Department Head(s) where the incident has occurred.
- The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee) will immediately contact by telephone the President and all core members of the Crisis Response Team (auxiliary members as needed), coordinating the efforts of the team.
- Director of University Housing will immediately contact all professional and paraprofessional staff in the Department of University Housing.
- Associate Vice President for University Marketing and Communication will insure that the Vice President and the Deans of each College have been contacted and will confer with the Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee) to make certain all appropriate University personnel have been notified.
- University Counseling Center staff will respond to the scene to assist with immediate psychological and emotional needs.
- Director of University Police and Parking Services will respond to the scene to assist with securing the area, crowd control, and the investigation.
- The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee) may call a meeting of the appropriate personnel within the division (or institution, community, etc) to provide relevant available information and to identify issues to be addressed and services to be provided relative to students and staff directly affected by the incident of those impacted in ancillary ways.
- The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee), in consultation with the Crisis Response Team, will immediately contact the family members of all students involved in the incident.
- Work through the local police and chaplains in the family's home jurisdiction when possible.
- Determine positive identification(s) of students(s) involved in the incident.
- The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee) will immediately notify the families of the same name students (as those involved in the incident) that their student is safe and indeed not involved in any incident reported by the media.
- The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee) will contact the family of all students involved in an incident a second time to confirm their understanding of the earlier call.
- Be prepared to answer as many specific questions as possible
- Be prepared to make arrangements for them to come to campus
- The Associate Vice President for University Marketing and Communication will coordinate all information released externally by the university associated with the incident and respond to all the requests for information from media personnel. To insure accurate and consistent information, university personnel must observe this requirement, directing all inquires to the Associate Vice President for University Marketing and Communication.
- The Director of Government and Community Relations will contact (when appropriate) area legislators, apprising them of the circumstances of the incident and answering questions they might have. The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee) will, with expedience, notify the following by memorandum:
- Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Success
- Director of Admission and Enrollment Services
- Director of University Housing
- Operations Director of Student Health Center
- Director of Campus Dining
- Director of Student Financial Assistance
- Director of Human Resources
- Student Employment
- Cashier and Student Accounts
- Dean, Library Services
- Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
- Dean, College of Business
- Dean, College of Education
- Dean, College of Technology
- Dean, Graduate School and Continuing Studies
- Faculty Advisor of each student involved in incident
- Professors of each student involved in incident
- The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services (or designee) will serve as the primary contact person for the family of the students involved in the incident.
- Meet with the family members if they choose to travel to campus.
- Coordinate the assembly of deceased student(s) personal possessions for return to family members.
- Write a letter of condolence to family members of deceased student(s).
- Provide assistance for those wishing to hold a campus memorial for deceased student(s).
- Coordinate/confirm the return of funds (if any) to the family of deceased student(s).
- The following offices will assume the outlined responsibilities:
- Registrar: close official academic records.
- Cashier and Student Accounts Office: process any allowable refund of tuition and fees.
- Payroll Office: finalize any remaining wage payment, forwarding it to the Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services and close any employment records.
- Library: renew all materials checked out to avoid inadvertent overdue/fine notices.
- University Housing: process any allowable refund of room, meal plan, and/or Fexi-cash payment; return to library any materials on loan; upon family request, pack private possessions for return to family.
- Student Financial Assistance: notify Cashier and Student Accounts Office of any refunds owed to or by the student.
- Student I.D. Office: issue refund of any remaining balance in Gorilla Card Debit Account
- University Counseling Center counselors will be responsible for coordinating psychological counseling, emotional support, and spiritual referral to students in need of assistance as a result of the incident. The following personnel will likely be involved and assist counseling personnel: residence hall professional and paraprofessional staff, campus ministry personnel, volunteer assistance from area counseling professionals, and professional staff within Campus Life and Auxiliary Services.
- Areas to consider when providing support for survivors of an incident include living unit, classmates, clubs, organizations, academic departments, and fraternities/sororities
- When utilizing assistance from area professionals, provisions must be made for parking, meeting space, and support.
- In an incident involving the need for clean-up and removal of biologically hazardous or infectious material, Via Christi Hospital administration (231-6100) should be contacted to secure permission to have its Infectious Control Coordinator supervise initial action and follow-up activity by university custodial personnel. Director of Custodial and General Services should be contacted to coordinate support of Via Christi staff and follow up activity by custodial staff. The Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services may call meetings of all Crisis Response Team members involved with an incident to review activities and progress of the team during the resolution of the incident. Following the completion of the work of the team, the Associate Vice President for Campus Life and Auxiliary Services will facilitate a debriefing session for members of the team.
- In the event that the crisis involves an international student, Crisis Response Team Core Members would also include the Director of International Student Programs and Services and the Director of the Intensive English Program. Additional contacts which will need to be considered include IEP instructors, host families, embassy or country diplomats, and the International Student Association President. Additional components to be addressed may include the need for a translator, contacting family members abroad, communicating with the international student community on campus.
Approved and Implement: 11-22-95
Last Revised: 2/2/12