LIFELINE is a voluntary, confidential, FREE, service that provides benefits eligible employees and their dependents with counseling and referral services. It is an employee benefit sponsored by HealthQuest, the State of Kansas employee health promotion program.
Change Your Attitude to Accomplish More
Put Yourself in Charge
When things go wrong, it doesn't have to ruin your day. In fact, with the right outlook, you can prevent many problems from ever happening. When mistakes occur or something goes wrong, "remember that you're the person who controls your reactions," says Ed Foreman, president of People Development Systems. "Don't let the weather, your spouse or your boss take that control away from you."
Choose to maintain a positive attitude. "Bring a proactive approach to situations, don't just react to things after they've happened," he says. "Decide how you would like them to turn out." Set high expectations up front. "Instead of wondering what might go wrong, start looking for things to go right. Our thoughts can be self-fulfilling, so chances are you will get the result you expect."
A positive outlook contributes to a less stressful, more healthful lifestyle. Anger, fear and other stressful emotions are associated with many health problems, from depression to high blood pressure, heart disease and the common cold. But feeling good about yourself and others helps prevent mental anguish and physical problems.
Being upbeat also contributes to more pleasant personal relationships. “Take an honest look at your attitude, then ask yourself, 'Would I like to work with this person? Would I like being married to me?' If you answer no, it's time to change your attitude and behavior."
Strategies for Work
On the job, an individual with a positive attitude is more likely to achieve good results. The next time there is an important assignment or a promotion, that person is likely to get it. Here are a few strategies for achieving a positive attitude at work:
- Plan your day and your future. Work to achieve real goals, not just finish tasks.
- Greet people with a smile. Studies have found that smiling makes you feel better.
- Avoid excuses; they just make the other person angrier. "I'm sorry" and "I'll take care of it" work wonders.
- Give sincere appreciation. Your co-workers deserve to know when they've done something well -- and they will return the compliment.
- Listen more and talk less. Listening to another person is one of the best compliments you can give.
- Alternate work and rest periods. Take time out to refresh yourself with a walk, stretches or other moderate exercise.
- Don't complain. Grumbling focuses attention on what's wrong, not what's right, and creates a negative atmosphere.
- Learn from your mistakes. Instead of getting upset, ask, "How can I correct the situation?"
- Make room for humor. Make it cheerful, not offensive.
- Review your accomplishments at the end of the day. Even small contributions make a difference.
- Go home early enough to spend time with family or friends. Relax and get a good night's sleep.
Summary of CORE LIFELINE Employee Assistance Services
Call LIFELINE 1-800-284-7575 at any time, day or night 7 days a week for help handling life's stresses. State of Kansas benefits eligible employees and their dependent children can receive the following benefits:
1-4 face-to-face sessions (per issue) with an EAP counseling service for a wide variety of problems:
- Day-to-day stresses
- Depression and anxiety
- Major life traumas
- Problems with co-workers or supervisor
- Stress due to layoffs or furloughs
- Marital and family issues
- Drug and alcohol issues
The following services are also available:
- Elder care consultations with an elder care specialist
- Legal consultation with an attorney - one per year
- Financial consultations with a professional
- Extended benefit for employees and immediate family members for 6 months after any layoff action.
- Healthy Life Programs
- Life Coaching (employee only)
- Healthy Weight Program (employee and dependents)
Take advantage of this valuable employee benefit. For help with the day-to-day stressors of life, simply call LIFELINE at 1-800-284-7575 any time, day or night 7 days a week. That's all you need to do. Just pick up the phone. Your call with be completely confidential.