Questions from parents

How can I get medical information on my child?

If your child is over the age of 18, he or she will need to sign a release of information form at the Student Health Center to give us permission to discuss their medical information with you.   We are not allowed to share their information without their permission.

Encourage your child to communicate with you about their medical care, so that the first person they want to call in a crisis is you!

If your child fills out a medical history form for us, make sure they list numbers where we can find you if there is an emergency.

Why can’t you take my insurance for my child’s medical bills?

 We do not do third party billing.  We do not have the resources to do that at this time.  Upon request, we’ll give you the documentation necessary to file a claim yourself for reimbursement with your insurance company.  Check with your insurance company to see if you can file a claim and whether they will reimburse you for charges incurred at the Student Health Center.
If your child needs to have blood drawn for lab work, we can send a copy of the insurance card to the lab and they will bill your insurance for the tests.  We do charge a small fee for drawing blood.  If the child doesn’t have the actual card please make sure they have a copy of the card (Front and Back).  If at all possible make sure your child has a copy of the card when they arrive on campus to begin their studies.

Discuss your insurance with your child.  Let them know what their co-pays are, how much the deductibles are, if they are HMO, PPO etc.  Check ahead of time to see which of our local physicians, hospitals and pharmacies are covered with your insurance company. 

What vaccinations does my child need?

Pittsburg State University has adopted an Immunization Compliance Policy to include proof of two Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR) for all newly enrolled students, and proof of Meningitis vaccination for all University Residential Housing students.  

Recommended Immunizations for University Students include:

For a list of recommended immunizations, refer to Immunizations/Allergy Injections.

Where should I begin to look for my immunization records?

If you or your parents do not have a record of your immunizations, we suggest you check with your personal physician, your high school or your county health department.