Jamie Brooksher's Background:
Prior to serving as General Counsel, Brooksher served as the University's Associate General Counsel and Director of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action. She graduated with her bachelor's degree in history from PSU in 2003 and received her juris doctorate from the University of Kansas in 2007. As Associate General Counsel and Director of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, her responsibilities included working with students and employees to accommodate those with disabilities, ensuring compliance with affirmative action and equal opportunity laws, facilitating the resolution of grievances, and collaborating in legal matters involving the university.
As a law student, she interned with the National Labor Relations Board in Overland Park, Kansas, where she investigated and assisted with cases stemming from labor union disputes. Her experience includes clerking for the Douglas County (Kansas) District Court, where she assisted judges and court administrators with legal research and brief writing. Her student tenure also included serving on the University of Kansas Defender Project, a nonprofit legal counsel for the incarcerated.
Brooksher is licensed to practice law in Kansas and the U.S. District Court and holds memberships in the Kansas Bar Association, the Crawford County Bar Association, and the Kansas Women Attorney's Association.
- Serve as a member on the University President’s Council.
- Represent the University in labor negations with the faculty bargaining unit.
- Investigate and defend grievances brought against the University.
- Manage and assist with litigation brought against the University.
- Represent the University in administrative matters filed with regulatory agencies.
- Draft, edit, and negotiate contracts on behalf of the University.
- Serve as a Special Assistant Attorney General to the Kansas Attorney General.