Parents of dependent students may apply for a Direct PLUS Loan to help pay their child's educational expenses as long as certain eligibility requirements are met.
To be eligible for a Direct PLUS Loan for Parents:
- The parent borrower must be the student's biological or adoptive parent. In some cases, the student's stepparent may be eligible.
- The student must be a dependent student who is enrolled at least half-time at a school that participates in the Direct Loan Program.
- The parent borrower must not have an adverse credit history (a credit check will be done).
- The student and parent must be U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens, must not be in default on any federal education loans or owe an overpayment on a federal education grant, and must meet other general eligibility requirements for the federal student aid programs.
- In order to receive a PLUS Loan, you and your student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
For more information on Direct PLUS Loans, see the Department of Education website.
A parent whose student has applied for financial aid through the FAFSA, and have met the initial requirements listed above, must submit the following to apply for a PLUS loan:
- Federal Certification Form
13-14 Federal Certification
If you have been pre-approved for a PLUS loan outside of PSU, please complete the Certification Document and submit it to our office.