Share page: 

How to Tell if a Friend is Struggling

Common signs to look for if you think your friend may be struggling with difficult emotions or a mental health condition.

Read More

Your Friend Is Struggling...What Do You Do?

Do you know what to do if you notice signs that your friend is going through a rough time or battling a mental health condition? Check out this video for some tips.

Read More

Your Emotional Health in College

College can be an exciting and fun time, but it also can bring about new stressors and difficulties as you make the transition into college life and adulthood. Take a moment to view this video, "Emotional Health 101" to broaden your knowledge on the basics of emotional health in college and how vital it is to be aware of your own emotional well-being.

Read More

Get to Know your Strengths!

With StrengthsQuest, participants can:

  • discover their greatest natural talents
  • improve their grades and increase their learning by making the most of their talents
  • strategically determine a rewarding career path based on who they are as uniquely talented individuals
  • maximize their potential for strengths by building on their talents rather than focusing on their weaknesses
Read More

Student Information

Clinical Services

Supportive Counseling

University students normally encounter various stressors during their college experience.  These may include coping with new academic demands, feelings of anxiety or depression, making and maintaining new friendships, and adjusting to changing relationships with parents and other family members.  Stress, however, can become overwhelming and threaten the college experience and academic progress.  University Counseling Services (UCS) can help you resolve personal concerns or difficulties to better manage your situation.  Working one-on-one with a therapist can provide you valuable feedback, a different perspective on your situation, and equip you with new methods of coping.  UCS offers a range of psychological and mental health counseling services for current students of Pittsburg State University (PSU).  Services are provided in a supportive and confidential atmosphere and are tailored to address the concerns of a student.  Sessions are offered to help students with a variety of problem areas such as:

  • Anxiety and/or Stress
  • Attention Difficulties
  • Depression
  • Eating Disorders/Body Image Concerns
  • Grief/Loss
  • Interpersonal Difficulties
  • Low Motivation
  • Low Self-Esteem
  • Panic
  • Sleep Difficulties
  • Substance Misuse/Abuse
  • Trauma, including sexual assault

Many concerns can be addressed using a brief, solution-focused approach, often requiring only a few visits.  Individual counseling sessions are usually from 30 to 60 minutes in length, depending on the needs of the student.  Sessions are one-on-one with a therapist who will help you work toward specific goals and work through your concerns.  UCS also works in close collaboration with the Student Health Services (SHS) to offer an integrated behavioral and medical health care service.

Psychological Testing

Psychological assessments are one part of services provided at UCS in order to offer comprehensive and individualized treatment to PSU students.  Psychological testing can be helpful in better understanding a person’s problem areas, as well as identifying strengths to cope with your current situation.  A wide range of psychological assessments can be administered and interpreted at UCS in order to obtain the best form of treatment or intervention for a PSU student.  Psychological assessments to acquire student accommodations, to support psychotherapeutic services, or to support pharmacological treatment can be administered at UCS.  Testing can address a wide range of topics such as attention difficulties, learning disabilities, mood disorders, concussions, personality traits, personal strengths, and more.  Your therapist will discuss the costs and benefits of psychological testing if it is likely to be helpful in your situation. 


UCS has contracted with the Crawford County Health Department to provide PSU students with a dietitian to help support them with their dietary needs.  The dietitian offers nutritional services to students in a supportive and confidential atmosphere.  The dietitian will work individually with students to plan a program of nutritional services to meet their needs in compliance with state and licensing boards.  Individual sessions are usually 30 to 60 minutes in length, depending on the needs of the student.

Campus Outreach, Consultation, & Graduate Training

UCS provides mental health education, outreach, and consultation to PSU students, faculty, and staff.  Additionally, UCS provides graduate students in the Department of Psychology and Counseling with practicum and internship opportunities.

Appointments & Fees

Eligibility Requirements

Any student currently enrolled at Pittsburg State University is eligible for services at University Counseling Services (UCS). Student Spouse Coverage after paying an eligibility fee. Services are not available to other dependents.

SUMMER SERVICE: Students who were enrolled for the spring semester, not attending in the summer session, but pre-enrolled for the fall semester, are eligible for UCS with payment of the summer student health fee.

A valid PSU identification card may be required to access services at UCS.


The Bryant Student Health Center offers the privilege of students acquiring well-rounded health care conveniently in one building.  University Counseling Services (UCS) maintains a collaborative relationship with Student Health Services (SHS) to offer integrated behavioral and medical health care services. 

While seeing a therapist at UCS, students may receive the recommendation of attending a medical consultation and/or evaluation with SHS.  Should you be started on any pharmacological treatment regimens during the course of psychotherapy, your therapist may collaborate closely with your prescriber to ensure you are receiving the best form of treatment to help you perform successfully while attending Pittsburg State University (PSU).

At times, students may be best served by other agencies or offices on campus; the UCS may make a referral for you to visit with another PSU office when appropriate.  Additionally the UCS may see fit to make outside referrals to agencies in the community or surrounding Pittsburg, KS area depending on the needs of the student.

What to Expect My First Visit?

During the first session, you and your therapist will work together to clarify your concerns and goals. At UCS, students are encouraged to actively participate in determining the services that may be most helpful to accomplish their goals. Based on the information gathered in the first visit, you and your therapist will determine the services or resources that will best serve your needs. Therapists at UCS will answer questions that you may have. The staff at UCS is composed of licensed psychologists, licensed professional counselors, and graduate students.


Student health information is confidential and jointly maintained by University Counseling Services (UCS) and Student Health Services (SHC) electronically. Student health information is accessible and exchanged between UCS and SHS for the purpose of coordinating care. PSU does not release private health information about a student without that student’s written permission, except in the case of imminent danger to themselves or others, child/dependent abuse, court order, or where otherwise required by law. Notations of counseling services are not part of a student’s academic record at PSU.

Notice of Privacy Practices

Student Health Insurance

Students who are not already covered by accident and hospitalization insurance are encouraged to purchase the optional group student health insurance which is a state-approved plan designed for all Regents' Schools in Kansas, Student Resources, a division of UnitedHealthcare. This insurance policy also provides coverage options for spouses and dependents of students. The insurance may be purchased during the enrollment of each semester or at any time during the year. To obtain a brochure, or ask questions, contact Student Resources, at 1-800-767-0700 directly, or call the Student Health Center at (620) 235-4452.