Share page: 

Making a Referral

How to refer your child to University Counseling Services (UCS)

Read More

Protecting Your Child's Mental Health

Protecting Your Child’s Mental Health:  What Can Parents Do?

Read More

Parent Information

Clinical Services

Supportive Counseling

University students normally encounter various stressors during their college experience.  These may include coping with new academic demands, feelings of anxiety or depression, making and maintaining new friendships, and adjusting to changing relationships with parents and other family members.  However, stress can become overwhelming and threaten the college experience and academic progress.  University Counseling Services (UCS) can help you resolve personal concerns or difficulties to better manage your situation.  Working one-on-one with a therapist can provide you valuable feedback, a different perspective on your situation, and equip you with new methods of coping.  UCS offers a range of psychological and mental health counseling services for current students of Pittsburg State University.  Services are provided in a supportive and confidential atmosphere and are tailored to address the concerns of a student.  Sessions are offered to help students with a variety of problem areas such as:

  • Anxiety and/or Stress
  • Attention Difficulties
  • Depression
  • Eating Disorders
  • Grief
  • Interpersonal Difficulties
  • Low Motivation
  • Low Self-Esteem
  • Panic
  • Sleep Difficulties
  • Substance Misuse/Abuse
  • Trauma, including sexual assault

Many concerns can be addressed using a brief, solution-focused approach, often requiring only a few visits.  Individual counseling sessions are usually from 30 to 60 minutes in length depending on the needs of the student.  Sessions are one-on-one with a therapist who will help you work toward specific goals and work through your concerns.  The UCS also works in close collaboration with the Student Health Service to offer an integrated behavioral and medical health care service.

Psychological Testing

Psychological assessments are one part of services provided at the University Counseling Services in order to provide comprehensive and individualized treatment to PSU students.  Psychological testing can be helpful in better understanding a person’s problem areas, as well as identifying strengths to cope with your current situation. Your therapist will discuss the benefits and costs of psychological testing if it is likely to be helpful in your situation.  A wide range of psychological assessments can be administered and interpreted at the University Counseling Center in order to acquire the best form of treatment or intervention for a PSU student.  Psychological assessments to acquire student accommodations, to support psychotherapeutic services, or to support pharmacological treatment can be administered through University Counseling Services.  Testing can address a wide range of topics such as ADHD, learning disabilities, mood disorders, concussions, personality traits, personal strengths, and more.


University Counseling Services has contracted with the Crawford County Health Department to provide Pittsburg State University students with a dietitian to help support them with their dietary needs.  The dietitian offers nutritional services to students in a supportive and confidential atmosphere.  The dietitian will work individually with students to plan a program of nutritional services to meet their needs in compliance with state and licensing boards.  Individual sessions are usually from 25 to 50 minutes in length depending on the needs of the students.

Campus Outreach, Consultation, & Graduate Training

University Counseling Services provides mental health education, outreach, and consultation to university students, faculty, and staff.  Additionally, UCS provides graduate students in the Department of Psychology and Counseling with practicum and internship opportunities.

Eligibility Requirements

Any student currently enrolled at Pittsburg State University is eligible for services at University Counseling Services (UCS). Student Spouse Coverage is available for a small fee. Services are not available to other dependents.

SUMMER SERVICE: Students who were enrolled for the spring semester, not attending in the summer session, but pre-enrolled for the fall semester, are eligible for University Counseling Services with payment of the summer student health fee.

A valid PSU identification card may be required to access services at University Counseling Services.

Appointments & Fees


Student health information is confidential and jointly maintained by University Counseling Services (UCS) and Student Health Services (SHC) electronically. Student health information is accessible and exchanged between UCS and SHS for the purpose of coordinating care. PSU does not release private health information about a student without that student’s written permission, except in the case of imminent danger to themselves or others, child/dependent abuse, court order, or where otherwise required by law. Notations of counseling services are not part of a student’s academic record at PSU.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know when to refer my son or daughter to UCS?

A student should be referred whenever you believe their difficulties have gone beyond their capacity to cope with the situation, and beyond your own ability to be helpful.  Some individuals will initially find some relief when provided with the opportunity to discuss their concerns.  However, others may feel more comfortable talking with a third party. For non-emergent situations, it may be best to call UCS on behalf of your child.  The student can then be given an appointment and any further instructions.  If you have more serious concerns about your son or daughter’s willingness or ability to follow through with an appointment, it may be best to walk him or her to the UCS office.

If you would like to discuss any general or specific concerns, please contact us at 620-235-4452 or stop by the University Counseling Service at 1701 South Broadway. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. For emergency assistance, call 911.

Any tips for when I approach my child about seeking help?

Once you identify that your son or daughter is experiencing a pattern of symptoms, you must decide whether or not to confront him or her. Below are some guidelines if you choose to speak to your child:

  • Make them feel comfortable by talking in private.
  • Express your concerns in a direct, straightforward manner.
  • Listen carefully to his or her concerns.
  • Avoid criticizing or sounding judgmental.
  • Determine whether a referral to UCS would be beneficial.
  • Remember that your child has a right to accept, think over, or refuse your recommendations.
  • If your child resists help and you are still concerned, it may be helpful to discuss your concerns with a member of the UCS staff.

If you would like to discuss any general or specific concerns, please contact us at 620-235-4452 or stop by the University Counseling Service at 1701 South Broadway. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. For emergency assistance, call 911.

What do I do if my son or daughter is reluctant to seek help?

It is important to understand parents cannot make decisions regarding an adult child’s emotional well-being for them, and counseling is always a personal choice.  At the same time, you can assist your child who may be ambivalent about seeking professional help in a number of ways.

  • Normalize the process of pursuing counseling. This may be especially helpful for adult children whose cultural backgrounds may include differing views of mental health treatment.
  • Reassure your son or daughter by explaining that you do not view him or her as "crazy."
  • Let your child know there is no problem too big or too small for treatment.
  • Inform your son or daughter that there is no charge for the first appointment, and they can speak to a counselor once without making a commitment to ongoing therapy.
  • Discuss with your son or daughter the UCS confidentiality policy: that any information shared during their counseling session is kept strictly confidential and that notations of counseling services are not part of his or her academic record at PSU.
  • Talk to your child about his or her fears and concerns about seeking help. Some individuals may feel that counseling is an admission of weakness or failure; explain to your adult child that it takes considerable courage and integrity to face oneself, acknowledge his or her limitations, and admit a need for assistance.
  • Suggest that your child visit our website to become familiar with the services we offer prior to seeking treatment.

When should I be concerned about my adult child?

Many times parents can become aware of changes in their adult child's behaviors from a distance. Parents may see their child struggling at college and want to find a way to help. The following information is designed to help parents determine what to look out for as indicators that their child may need help.

You may notice dramatic shifts in behavior such as:

  • Changes in personal hygiene
  • Changes in eating and sleeping
  • Loss of interest in things and withdrawing from people
  • Anger, agitation, irritability, and emotional outbursts
  • Excessive anxiety and worry
  • Suicidal comments (verbal or in writing)

You may notice behavior changes related to Alcohol and other Drug Abuse such as:

  • Evidence of excessive use of a substance
  • Non-social behaviors like lying or stealing
  • Detrimental behaviors such as neglecting responsibilities, missing classes, or not going to a job

You may also notice behaviors following a Trauma or Crisis such as:

  • Loss/illness of a family member or close friend
  • A break-up or a change in a relationship
  • Conflicts with a roommate, friend, or family member
  • Change in occupation
  • Being assaulted or abused

What do I do if my child has lost someone to suicide?

Follow this link for tips on helping your child cope with the loss of a significant other to suicide:

How can I help my child transition from high school to college and adulthood?

The following links may be helpful as you do your best to assist your child with the transition to college and adulthood: