Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity, commonly known as “Sig Tau,” was founded at Warrensburg, Missouri, at what is now the University of Central Missouri, on June 28, 1920. At 5:00 pm, a local fraternity at Pittsburg, Kansas, then called Sigma Phi Kappa, became Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Tau Gamma on May 3, 1924, at the urging of the faculty sponsor, Prof. O.F. Grubbs.
Seven buildings on the Pitt State campus are named for individuals who were directly associated with Epsilon Chapter. McCray Hall is named for Dr. Walter S. McCray, founder of the music department at the University and a co-sponsor of the charter group. John Lance Arena is named for John Lance, University basketball coach, faculty advisor of Epsilon Chapter and an honorary member of Sigma Tau Gamma. Grubbs Hall is named for Prof. O.F. Grubbs, long time University Professor, co-sponsor of the charter group, and an advisor of Epsilon Chapter for more than 44 years.
Epsilon Chapter has occupied its present chapter house at 1803 S. Joplin Street since the fall semester of 1960. The house was built as the personal home of University President William A. Brandenburg, father of founder Harold Brandenburg, in 1929 and has been extensively expanded and remodeled for use as a fraternity house.
Alumni members of Epsilon Chapter also generously support the Prof. O.F. Grubbs Foundation, a private foundation which provides up to 17 scholarships to male students at PSU who exemplify the principles of Sigma Tau Gamma.
Starting with our first chapter president, James K. Baker, many men of Epsilon Chapter have served as the University student body president. Since 2010, three Sig Taus have been president of the Pitt State Student Government Association: Eric Jones, Jordan Schaper, and Kyle Hostetler.
For additional information, please visit the Sigma Tau Gamma website.
Nationally Founded: 1920Locally Founded: 1924Colors: Azure and WhiteMascot/Symbol: The Chain of HonorFlower: White RoseNational Philanthropy: Special Olympics
*Please click here for information on fraternity dues.