August 01, 2011 12:00AM
For 83 years, Hartman Hall has served the university. In July, workers began a series of restorations that will help the building continue to serve for years to come.
The work includes masonry restoration on the original building and tuck pointing and lintel repairs on later additions. It also includes a total roof replacement. The $636,544 project is funded through State Repair and Rehabilitation funds. Contractors are Mid America Roofing of Frontenac and Mid-Continental Restoration of Fort Scott.
Hartman Hall has a distinguished history that is linked to some of the university's earliest technology programs. It is named for Harry Hartman, an alumnus and long-time faculty member in industrial education.
Hartman, who is credited with starting the automotive technical training program, taught at the university from 1920 until his retirement in 1959. During World War II, he also served as the ground instructor for aviation courses and also helped establish drivers' education courses in Kansas. Hartman died in 1981.
In 1925, Hartman drew up plans for a new mechanical arts building. The university used those plans to construct what was later named Hartman Hall. The building, completed in 1928, was designed in a neo-Egyptian style to complement the gymnasium, across the Oval. Hartman also drew the plans for a 1947 addition to the building.
Automotive and other technology programs moved to the new Kansas Technology Center when that building opened in 1997. Since that time, Hartman Hall has been home for the electricians, painters and carpenters who care for the university's buildings. It is also home to the Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology. Over the years, the building has also been the home for a variety of offices, most notably the Department of Military Science, which is now in the Armory and Student Recreation Center.