The Walter McCray Collection at the Leonard H. Axe Library at PSU
Walter McCray is a former PSU Music Department Chair and the person for whom the building is named.
John Philip Sousa (left) and Walter McCray (right) in Pittsburg, Kansas
Dr. Walter McCray was the second director of the Department of Music at Pittsburg State University, known then as the State Manual Training Normal School, and served in that capacity from September 1914 to August 1946. He died on December 5, 1959.