Share page: 

What is IKE?

The International Knowledge and Experience (IKE) Certificate promotes international knowledge and encourages student international experiences. The IKE certificate consists of three components of international experience – Study Abroad, Academic Courses, and Co Curricular programming. A student may complete any two of the components to fulfill the certificate requirements. Students completing IKE by choosing to include the Academic Courses component will also receive a notation on their academic transcript.

Who can participate in IKE?

IKE is open to ALL students. Some requirements have been adjusted for international students.

Can graduate students participate in IKE?

Yes! Graduate students can participate in IKE, however, graduate students will not receive a notation on their transcripts if they complete the academic component with another component. Graduate students can count two language courses and one internationally focused course from their undergraduate studies towards the required courses for the academic component.

Graduate students will receive a certificate and be recognized at the International Graduation Banquet as do all IKE graduates at the end of the semester they complete the program.

What do I need to do to complete IKE?

All students who complete the program receive a detailed listing of the activities they have fulfilled to achieve this certificate. The completion of each component will be accounted as follows:

Study Abroad:
Earning credit through a PSU Study Abroad program, or any approved partner study abroad program.
International students taking credit courses at PSU fulfill this component.

Academic Courses:
This component has two areas (language study and international coursework) and both must be completed to fulfill the component. The foreign language area is fulfilled by completing two semesters in the same foreign language with a grade of C or better. (Equivalencies may be considered with the approval of the MLL dept.) The international coursework area is fulfilled by completing three courses in three different disciplines with a grade of C or better. Courses are selected from a list approved by the International Studies program. Current course list here
International students may fulfill the foreign language area by meeting the English proficiency
for international students set by the University. They may also meet the international
coursework area by taking one (two with permission) course with a significant modern
US focus.

Co curricular Activities:

This component is fulfilled by participating in a number of intercultural activities, lectures, meetings, student organizations, etc. equaling 60 units. The units are calculated from an approved list maintained by the International Programs and Services

How do I register for IKE?

Send an e-mail with your student ID number to You will then be added to the Canvas Community.

How will I keep track of my activity in IKE?

There is an IKE community created in Canvas. IKE participants will enter their IKE activity through this group. The activities will be reviewed and credited by IKE administrators. In the middle of each semester IKE administrators will send an e-mail asking those who plan to complete the program that semester to confirm their intentions. Students may request and "IKE Audit" to see what requirements are remaining by e-mailing

How long do I have to complete IKE?

Students can remain active participants in IKE as long as they are enrolled in PSU. Depending on the student it may take a semester or four years to complete IKE.

How will I know what events qualify for IKE?

Through the IKE community on Canvas there will be a calendar showing events on and off campus that will be "IKE events". There will also be announcements put up about upcoming volunteer activities, conversation partner opportunities, study abroad programs, lectures, and more. If a student finds an event, he/she thinks is IKE worthy, on or off campus, it can be submitted to the IKE administrators for approval.

More questions?

Send them to in the International Programs and Services office.