Phone: 620-235-4748 Fax: 620-235-4003
• In October 2009, several PSU students and instructors attended the 44th Midwest Regional ACS Meeting in Iowa City. Six PSU undergraduates and three graduate students presented their work at the meeting.
• The Chemistry Department was saddened to learn of the death of Dr. Elbert W. "Al" Crandell on November 5, 2009. Dr. Crandall taught organic chemistry here from 1952 until his retirement in 1985.
• The Chemistry Department has purchased a new Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectrometer from Shimadzu. The $50,000 instrument replaces the GC/MS purchased in 1995. The instrument is now operational and available for use in undergraduate laboratory courses and in departmental research. About 25% of the purchase price was provided by the Kansas Polymer Research Center.
• This summer, Dr. Chuck Blatchley stepped down as the chair of both the Chemistry and Physics Departments. He has returned to full-time teaching as a member of the Physics Faculty. Math Professor and Assistant Dean Dr. Bobby Winters has taken the additional title of Interim Chair of the Chemistry Department.
• Dr. Kris Mijares has joined the Chemistry Department to teach introductory and organic chemistry courses and will have the title of Instructor starting this fall. He is a recent graduate of Kansas State University.
Stories about Chemistry Students, Faculty, Alumni, Events, Speakers and Lectures