Skip header navigation
Making Student Referrals (by Dr. Joe Cuseo, Professor Emeritus, Marymount College)
- Describe the goals and services of the referred service. (Don't assume that the student already knows its purpose or function.)
- Personalize the referral: Refer the student to a person (a name)-rather than an office.
- Reassure the student of the qualifications and capability of the person to whom he/she is being referred.
- Help the student identify what questions to ask and how to approach the resource person.
- Make explicitly sure that the student knows where to go and how to get there.
- Phone for an appointment while the student is in your presence.
- Walk with the student to the referred person's office.
- Follow-up the initial referral by asking the student if the contact occurred, how it went, and whether there will be future contact.
- Praise the student for making the effort to seek support and taking a step toward self-improvement.