Welcome to Pittsburg State University, home of the Gorillas! Midwest values and hospitality are found on this campus of more than 7,000 students where the student to faculty ratio is 19-to-1. At Pittsburg State University, students can select from over 100 academic programs within the colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, and Technology.
Choosing Pittsburg State opens the door to a college experience complete with respected programs, caring and professional faculty, and multiple opportunities to get involved - the traditional, beautiful campus is the home of more than 150 student clubs and organizations. Pittsburg State is also a place of intense preparation for the future. Within six months of graduation, approximately 90% of our graduates are either gainfully employed or enrolled in advanced studies.
Located in the southeast corner of Kansas, PSU is within two hours of Tulsa, Okla., Kansas City, Springfield, Mo., and Fayetteville, Ark. Our students are close enough for big city visits, but can still choose from a host of local activities and entertainment. The 20,000 citizens in the picturesque community of Pittsburg, Kan., take real pride in supporting Pittsburg State and its mission of encouraging all individuals to achieve their potential.
Pittsburg State University is not just your ordinary university. Many colleges can boast a small student to faculty ratio, a nicely sized institution with a wireless campus, or qualified faculty. But the unique advantages of selecting PSU for your higher education are significant and include...
- Reasonable, flat-rate tuition that extends well beyond the borders of Kansas. Our Gorilla Advantage program makes it possible for students in multiple counties surrounding Kansas to attend PSU at in-state rates.
- The Kansas Technology Center, which offers a number of internationally recognized technology programs
- Our esteemed College of Business, which has been continually accredited by the AACSB, as well as numerous top-shelf undergraduate and graduate programs in a variety of academic areas including pre-med, nursing, education, music, design, broadcasting, and much more
- Two new state-of-the-art centers for student health: the Student Recreation Center and the Student Health Center
- Strong support from alumni and friends - PSU just successfully completed its 10-year, $120 million capital campaign for scholarships, programs and more
- New apartment-style living for students in the modern Crimson Commons housing complex
- More GTE Academic All-Americans than any other NCAA Division II institution this decade, as well as a well-known athletics program that brings students and community members together to cheer on the Gorillas!
University Mission Statement
Pittsburg State University, a comprehensive regional university, provides undergraduate and graduate programs and services to the people of southeast Kansas, but also to others who seek the benefits offered. This is accomplished by the unique combination of academic programs in the four colleges of the University: Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, and Technology. The university is equally committed to fulfilling its statewide mission in technology and economic development by facilitating partnerships with secondary and postsecondary educational institutions, businesses and industries.
The university supports an organizational and interpersonal structure that actively encourages individuals to achieve their potential. The university provides programs and services that create opportunities for students and other individuals to develop intellectually, ethically, aesthetically, emotionally, socially and physically. The university provides intellectual leadership and multicultural experiences that contribute to the preservation of the heritage of the region and the enhancement of its inhabitants. Finally, the university recognizes the world as interdependent and, thus, seeks to promote a broad and interactive international perspective.
The university fulfills the traditional academic missions of teaching, scholarship and service. Excellence in teaching is the primary focus of the university. The university recognizes that active scholarship and creativity add vitality to teaching, expand and refine the knowledge base and are instrumental to the professional development of the faculty and staff. Programs of professional and community service promote and strengthen university endeavors. Pittsburg State University fosters a campus culture of assessment and accountability that supports strategic planning and the continuous improvement of its academic programs and administrative processes.